April 26, 2019 – Vaughan, Ontario
Today, the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, along with Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge announced a repayble contribution of up to $8.5 million to Riverside Natural Foods Ltd. for the modernization of their MadeGoodTM Foods line of products, while visiting the manufacturing facility in Vaughan.
This project is funded under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership‘s AgriInnovate Program. The funds allocated will enable the company to purchase and install the first ever robotic equipment in Canada, to customize and automate their granola bar production while create innovative new production lines for allergen-free healthy snacks.
With this contribution, Riverside Natural Foods is expected to increase production, inputs and exports sales, while introducing new products to the market and creating good-paying jobs to benefit all Canadians.
“This funding will help Riverside Natural Foods stay on the cutting edge through the latest in new technologies, allowing them to grow production and launch innovative, new high-quality products to customers in Canada and around the world. The government is proud to contribute in projects like this, which will help keep Ontario’s agri-food sector strong and growing, increase Canada’s competitiveness and create jobs for our middle class.”
- Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“Our Government is working hard to help businesses such as Riverside Natural Foods, start up, scale up, and access new markets. Today’s contribution will help create good jobs in York Region, use innovation in our agri-food sector and strengthen the Canadian economy.”
- Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan—Woodbridge
“The government support has been a tremendous boost to our company, allowing us to invest in sophisticated, best in class production equipment that will allow the MadeGood brand to compete on a global scale. We will continue to produce nutritious foods using Canadian organic agricultural products, provide employment for a skilled and ethnically diverse workforce and generously give back to our community. MadeGood is focused on becoming a Canadian role model and leader in successful triple bottom line business management.”
- Nima Fotovat, President, Riverside Natural Foods Ltd.
- In 2017, the Ontario food processing industry recorded sales of $45 billion and generated $10 billion in export value
- Riverside Natural Foods is a family run business incorporated in 2013, based in Vaughan, Ontario. Riverside specializes in organic, allergen-free and non-GMO granola bars, squares, and cereals under the MadeGoodTM label, and has approximately 200 employees
- Well established in the market with $50 million in sales for 2017, in over 30 countries worldwide
- This contribution was made under the AgriInnovate Program, a five-year (2018-2023), up to $128 million initiative under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership that aims to accelerate commercialization, adoption and/or demonstration of innovative agri-based products, technologies, processes or services that increase agri-sector competitiveness and sustainability
- Riverside Natural Foods previously received funding of up to $782,000 under the AgriInnovation Program to purchase equipment to manufacture a line of innovative, healthy organic bars without the use of sugar binders
- Canadian Agricultural Partnership (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- AgriInnovate Program (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- MadeGood Foods
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Like us on Facebook: CanadianAgriculture