August 9, 2019 – Vaughan, Ontario
The dairy processing sector plays a vital role in Canada’s economy, producing good, high-quality and nutritious products for Canadians across the country.
Today, the Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge, Francesco Sorbara, announced an investment of $1,296,035 under the Dairy Processing Investment Fund to Quality Cheese Inc.
This investment will help Quality cheese to improve production efficiencies for the company’s current product lines and facilitate the introduction of new products. The project consists of purchasing more cheese moulds, expanding the cold storage facilities, purchasing new ricotta and mozzarella equipment, and adopting technology to recover the whey and reduce or even eliminate the waste water in the Vaughan facilities.
It is expected that the project will allow quality cheese to create 20 new full-time positions and source more high-quality milk from Canadian dairy farmers.
Overall, the project’s total value is $5,989,928, and will take place in all three Quality Cheese Inc. facilities (2 in Vaughan and 1 in Orangeville).
“This is an important federal investment that is enabling our local dairy industry to thrive and create good new jobs in Vaughan-Woodbridge, while growing the economy. This is part of our government’s plan to keep our world-class dairy processors stay on the cutting edge create well-paying jobs for Canadians.”
Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge
“There is a lot of trade coming across the table, which impacts our business. We appreciate the support from the federal government, to continue to help us continue to grow and grow our export markets and our domestic market here.”
- Alberto Borgo,Quality Cheese Inc.
- Quality Cheese Inc., a cheese manufacturer from Vaughan, Ontario, has been in business since 1988.
- Canada has more than 478 dairy processors that generate $14.3 billion in sales and create more than estimated 42,222 jobs.
- The Dairy Processing Investment Fund, valued at $100 million, is designed to help dairy processors modernize their operations, improving productivity and competitiveness.
- Canada’s dairy sector is also supported by the associated Dairy Farm Investment Program. To date, 1,900 dairy projects have been approved for funding support valued at $129 million, in a wide array of projects from small investments in cow comfort equipment to large ones for automated milking systems.
Office of Francesco Sorbara
Quality Cheese Inc.
111 Jevlan Drive Vaughan, ON L4L 8C2 Canada