August 22, 2019 – Concord, Ontario – Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
FedDev Ontario invests in growth of auto manufacturer
Nearly $2.5 million for Concord company to expand facility, scale up operations and create 50 high-quality jobs
Canada’s automotive sector is strong. To keep driving growth, the Government of Canada is supporting auto manufacturers to expand their presence in Canada and remain globally competitive
Today, Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan–Woodbridge, announced a FedDev Ontario contribution of nearly $2.5 million for Global Plas Inc. to expand operations and incorporate advanced robotics and automation to meet client demand in new and existing markets. This announcement was made on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for FedDev Ontario
Global Plas Inc., a supplier of molded plastic parts to Tier 1 automotive manufacturers, has undertaken a facility expansion to scale up and increase competitiveness in global markets. FedDev Ontario’s contribution has allowed Global Plas Inc. to renovate its new 71,000-square-foot facility, add new production lines, and install four injection molding machines and automation equipment. The company expects to add 50 new high-quality jobs to the York region.
The company is currently delivering on a five-year contract with Toyota Canada Inc. to manufacture door and fender parts for the all-new Toyota RAV4. With production increasing to 480,000 sets per year, Global Plas Inc. is purchasing a higher volume of raw materials, which positively affects the automotive parts supply chain across southern Ontario.
“Our government continues to make investments to support our Canadian auto sector workers. FedDev Ontario funding for Global Plas Inc. will help to create skilled jobs in York region, and allow a Canadian company poised for growth to adopt innovative automotive technologies in order to better compete in this important sector.”
- Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan–Woodbridge
“Canada’s automotive industry plays a key role in our economy. Investing in companies in this industry, like Global Plas Inc., boosts our economy, strengthens our competitiveness and creates good, well-paying jobs for Canadians.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
“The ever-changing environment in North America shows that Canadian companies, both large and small, need to push further than they ever have. Support from the Government of Canada, through FedDev Ontario, shows that we are not alone and can be the leaders in our fields, bringing us into an age of robotic technologies that give us an edge in our industry.”
- John Hunjan, Director of Finance and Material Planning & Logistics, Global Plas Inc.
- Established in 2010, Global Plas Inc. is a Tier 2 manufacturer of interior, exterior and under-the-hood plastic components for Tier 1 automotive suppliers, with a diverse customer base in Canada, the United States and Japan.
- Global Plas Inc.’s expansion project has combined its existing 55,000-square-foot manufacturing facility with its newly acquired and adjacent 71,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in Concord.
- The Toyota RAV4 is Canadian-made at its primary manufacturing location in Woodstock, Ontario.
- This year marks 10 years of FedDev Ontario delivering funding and business services to support innovation and growth in southern Ontario.
– 30 –
Toll Free: 1-866-593-5505