January 18, 2018 – Woodbridge, ON – Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge, held a National Seniors Forum at the Chancellor Community Centre, providing local seniors with the opportunity to have their voices heard on the specific issues affecting them. The discussion was aimed at how the Government of Canada can continue to work to improve access to affordable housing, income security, and the overall quality of life for seniors in Vaughan-Woodbridge and across the country.
Representatives from both federal and provincial branches of government were there to hear from seniors in the community. In attendance were members of the office of the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Minister of Economic Development and Growth, and Member of Parliament for Nickel Belt, Marc Serré, who introduced a Private Member’s Bill which looks to develop a National Seniors Strategy. Stakeholders including Service Canada, CARP, Mackenzie Health, Hospice Vaughan, the City of Vaughan Recreational Services, York Region, and the local LHIN were on hand for the important discussion.
“The Government of Canada believes that our seniors deserve to live with dignity and respect in their retirement years. I appreciate the opportunity to hear direct feedback from seniors here in Vaughan-Woodbridge and to provide a meaningful discussion on what the Government is doing specifically for seniors and their needs.”
– Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge
Here are some of the steps taken by the Government of Canada to support our seniors:
- Increased the Guaranteed Income Supplement top-up by $947, helping 900,000 vulnerable seniors gain greater financial security.
- Restored age of eligibility for Old Age Security & Guaranteed Income Supplement from 67 to 65.
- Enhanced the Canada Pension Plan to increase the maximum level of pension earnings to 14% as of 2025.
- Made significant investments in home care and mental health care, home-based palliative care, community-based care.
- Supporting caregivers with the new Caregiver Credit and Employment Insurance caregiver benefits.
- Enhancing social programs that have helped seniors stay involved in their community through the New Horizons for Seniors Program.
- Providing affordable housing adapted to the needs of seniors through the National Housing Strategy.
- Lowering prescription medication prices.
For any further information, please contact the office of Francesco Sorbara at Francesco.firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-264-6446.