January 23, 2018 Gatineau, Quebec Employment and Social Development Canada
The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, today announced that the Government of Canada is now accepting project proposals from organizations interested in receiving funding through the Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities.
People with disabilities have much to offer employers, but they remain under-represented in the workforce. Through programs such as the Opportunities Fund, the Government of Canada provides support to help people with disabilities enter the labour market, thereby contributing to the growth of the middle class.
There are two separate calls for proposals: one at the regional level and one at the national level. Both regional and national applicants can apply for the Skills and Employment Stream. National applicants can also apply for the Working with Employers Stream.
The Skills and Employment Stream offers funding for projects that provide people with disabilities with work experience and training to develop employment-related skills.
The Working with Employers Stream provides funding for projects that raise awareness and help employers create inclusive workplaces. Possible activities include developing employer policies and procedures to accommodate prospective employees with disabilities, supplying inventories of unemployed people with disabilities to employers experiencing labour shortages, and facilitating information sessions supporting the hiring of people with disabilities.
Eligible applicants in all provinces and territories can submit proposals until Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
“Canada is at its best and all of society benefits when everyone is included. That is why I strongly encourage community organizations to apply for funding through the Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities, and employers to become fully engaged in this program. Leveraging the talents of all Canadians makes for a stronger, more inclusive Canada.”
– The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities
- The Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities (OF) has an annual budget of approximately $40 million.
- Since its inception in 1997, the OF has helped approximately 110,000 people with disabilities across Canada.
- The OF provides financial support to community organizations that assist people with a permanent physical or mental disability that restricts their ability to perform daily activities.
- OF program participants typically have significant detachment from the labour force and are ineligible for assistance under Employment Insurance employment benefits.
- Funding: Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities
- Funding: Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities – Local and Regional Projects
Annabelle Archambault Press Secretary Office of the Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities 819-934-1122 / TTY: 1-866-702-6967 firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Relations Office Employment and Social Development Canada 819-994-5559 email@example.com Follow us on Twitter
Office of Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge at Francesco.firstname.lastname@example.org